Don’t have an oven? Want to bake a cake? Possible.
Yes, in a pressure cooker! It can make good basic cakes.
Remember making a cake in a pressure cooker can damage the cooker valve. Do not bake like this often. I am not sure if this will work with a non-stick cooker. I have an aluminum cooker.
What you will need:
- A big Pressure cooker (mine is 5 litres)
- A steel pan (like the cake pan) or a perforated plate/girdle.
- Pair of tongs or pot holder (“pakkad” in Hindi)
- Gas burner.
- Tooth pick or knife.
- Choose a simple cake recipe.
- Keep the cake batter ready in a tin/steel Don’t use glassware, plastic or non-stick containers.
The following three steps are most important:
- Remove the gasket (the rubber ring of the cooker) from the cooker’s lid. I have baked with the gasket on and it did not make a difference.
- Remove the weight (whistle).
- Do not add water to the cooker. Cake will bake on dry heat.
- Place a steel pan ( inverted) or the perforated dish inside the cooker. The cake pan will be place on top of this. It is done so that the cake is not close to the bottom of the cooker which may cause the cake to burn.
- Now preheat the cooker. Heat the cooker with lid closed, on high flame for 5 minutes.
- Once done, lower the flame to its lowest and put the cake batter pan inside with a pair of tongs ( or a pot holder). Close the lid; remember without the weight (whistle), gasket (optional) and without water.
- The cake will be ready after about 45 minutes. Check with a knife or toothpick whether the cake is ready. Remove it out of the cooker and cool it on a wire rack.
Your pressure cooker cake is ready!